Total Pageviews

Monday, October 17, 2011

Plain Be Gone: Entry way style

Moving into our new apartment has been great. Aside from the occasional dirty dish (cough, cough my pet peeve) or a noisy neighbor, it has been awesome. Like most guys, my boyfriend gives me mostly full control of decorating. He loves all my ideas but sometimes thinks they are funny. Coffee filter wreath? Well, he actually thought it looked cool and my mom thought I bought the wreath at a store! 

My latest "patients"were a few good finds at my local thrift shops. I found some great paints, brushes and even some great craft tools. I also scooped up a nice mirror that I thought would be great in my entry way. For months I have collected ideas from other blogs and magazines to serve the purpose of creating the perfect home that reflects mine and my boyfriend's taste. We like simple and unique pieces and don't want the clutter of too many things!

Enough blabbing from me, here is what I did for my plain entry way. 


Mirror: Before

Use gold ( or any color) spray paint to transform this mirror to match any decor. I taped some newspaper over the mirror to save myself the task of scraping off any spray paint afterwards. 

Spray about 4 inches away from the mirror and frame. Do one coat and let dry for a couple minutes. The flower design was painted on so this mirror needed two coats of the gold.










Mirror: After


This project is an easy way to transform something from a thrift shop that is maybe not your style to something that fits your decor perfect!

Simple DIY art:
I wouldn't say that I am a painting prodigy but I do love to try out different ideas for simple art!  I found some great paints at a local thrift shop along with brushes and tools. The art canvas's were on sale at Michael's for $3 each. 

Supplies: 



You will also need tape. I used basic scotch tape.

Tape off strips on the canvas in a zig-zag direction. Imagine when you peel it the paint will create lines on the canvas.

Taping makes it easy for anyone to tape, paint and peel with a no-fuss, mess-up free piece of art!

Take the paint and put a quarter size amount into a bowl. Stroke your brush back and forth on the canvas with any color desired. If using two colors, place them in different bowls. Paint each taped off section the same color or alternate sections of color.


Your piece may look similar to this. 


After you have finished painting all the sections, let your painting(s) dry for atleast 4-5 hours before peeling off tape.

The final product:

After the paint fully dried and I tore off the tape this is my final product!  (above)

The new entry way wall:

No comments:

Post a Comment