Total Pageviews

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

In Retrospect & other YOLO types of things

This post is all about YOLO. You Only Live Once is an acronym that my friends and I like to use a lot: cliche? Yes, a cliche is defined as something over-used or over-said but reminding ourselves that we only live once hopefully ensures a life of adventure and pursuit. The pursuit of travels, art, challenges, love... anything you may desire.

For me, living life is about doing what makes me happy. Sitting home 3 nights in a row watching reality tv and junk food, sure! Even though for me this isn't normal, every once in a while I remind myself that it's okay. But really, spending time with good friends and family is ideal. Although I love where I live, I am a little further than I'd like to be from all my loved ones. My boyfriend and I are building a great home for ourselves and an exciting life but nothing compares to having true support down the street.


Back to yolo and the reasons why I see life as a gift is my dad. He passed away 3 years ago from kidney disease and failure. Many of you out there have gone through similar losses and it is an indescribable pain. My dad taught me to cherish each day because it is the only one that you are guaraneteed. He was right, after years of dialysis and painful illnesses that came along with kidney failure he lost his battle. Growing up we did so much as a family. Boating, trips, family days all filled with laughter, sarcasm, jokes and best of all love!

After my dad passed I wanted to live life my way. I wanted to everything I planned to do before he died and make him proud. He always believed in my writing abilities and my "smarts". Even though I wouldn't say I was the smartest in class I do believe I have creativity and have always loved art.

I wanted to visit Europe. So last year I backpacked with a friend through 7 countries!
I love going to festivals and art shows. Even if it's alone or with one other person, i go!
I wanted to go skydiving. I jumped 14,000 feet this year with my boyfriend!



The bucket list i've created is far from being completed. But I am 24 and hopefully have some time to complete it. But if something happened and I died tomorrow I can happily say I have lived life with my arms open and taken risks. I have taken jobs that weren't go great but I knew they would lead to something better. If you get your foot in the door, you can open a lot more windows.

Find what makes you happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment