Total Pageviews

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Use What You Have

Use what you've got, save money.

We've all heard it all before. By reusing things in your home you can eliminate clutter, find new uses for old things and save some money in places you didn't expect. This post shows some of the things I've re-worked and re-used!

1. paper bags

Bags from grocery stores and shops make surprisingly fun gift wrap. Use pretty markers ( I used metallic ones) to add personal touches to the wrap.

• In being green , it's always smarter to use your re-usable bags at stores. But, if you do forget them ( and that's happened plenty to me) opt for paper over plastic and use it later on for this!

2. Old broken glass tiles & card stock

I had a lot of this around and was trying to think of what to use it for. Finally I came up with the idea of a fun frame for work. I hot glued the tiles to the 10x19 inch cardstock frame I made. It will frame my new chalkboard I painted on the wall!

** Instead of tiles you can use colored paper, beads, fabric or felt.

3. Toilet paper rolls

Toilet paper and paper towel rolls have a lot of craft functions.

-Shape them for stamps ( like i did in the heart tree pic)
-use as puppet or character bases
- modge podge paper or tissue paper onto them and construct a solid bottom for a faux flower vase

•The heart shape stamp is simple to make. Create your heart by pressing in the middle. Secure with string or tape. Dip in paint of choice and voila!


4. Chalkboard items

• Ok, so this isn't using what you've got exactly but with this one product you can transform a lot of what you've got!

I am totally in aw of chalkboard paint. The ability to take a not-so-nice houseware item and transform it for little money is priceless! I have painted everything from plastic utensil holders to the tops of side tables at work.

I think that the best pieces used with this paint are frames. Paint the glass with chalkboard paint and that's it. You've got a tangible platform for your thoughts, to-do list, meal plans etc. You can usually find this paint at any craft or home repair store. I just bought some for $3.99!

More uses coming soon!

Thanks for visiting,

Christina


No comments:

Post a Comment