Total Pageviews

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Ornaments MWL: Made With Love

  Welcome back! 

The holiday spirit is in full swing at my house, work and life in general!
 
     At this point my mind has been on overload from all the craft projects i've been doing. From holiday gifts to work lesson plans it's all about the CRAFTS! I can't complain though.... i'm crafting all day, coming up with new and fun ideas and getting paid for it. While it's not a bad gig, I still have a lot more to get finished before Christmas arrives.

    Now for this post's point: ornaments! MWL has a truthful meaning. The acronym  MWL stands for Made With Love as you could have gathered from the title of this post ( ha ha). Besides the fact that i'm on a budget this holiday I also love sentimental gifts. Even when I was young I always made corny, cute gifts of scrapbooks and poems for friends and family. 

     I also enjoy receiving personal, sentimental gifts. To this day my favorite gift I have received is from my girlfriends. A handmade quilt filled with pictures of myself and my friends from over the years. Every time I cuddle up with it I think of them and remember how lucky I am to call them not only my friends but truly my sisters.

     I decided to make ornaments as gifts and for my own tree. And this is how I did it...

You'll need:

  • Scrabble letters
  • newspaper
  • yarn or string
  • corks ( wine or champagne)
  • ribbon
  • hot glue
  • modge podge
( Alternative for modge podge: SAVE the $$$ and combine equal parts glue and water, easy as can be!) 



      The first ornament I made was the coaster ornament. I began by cutting a piece of newspaper and folding it accordion style until I had a folded strip. Once you  do that you can begin wrapping it into a tight circle so it looks like a coaster. Be sure to slip a piece of yarn or ribbon through the newspaper once you've finished rolling it into a circle. This will be the way your ornament will hang. You can make these big or small they just have to be big enough to hold your scrabble word. I chose to do LOVE. 




     Once the circle is complete, secure with hot glue. Soon after, apply your modge podge or my alternative solution. This will allow the newspaper to stay put and it will dry clear. Once the modge podge coat has dried, hot glue the scrabble letters to it. 



Wrap this ornament in a pretty box and decorate a brown paper bag to wrap it in and give it to someone special!



        The next one I made is the cork ornament. As stated above, you can use a wine or champagne cork. For mine I used a champagne cork because that is what I had in my house. This ornament is very simple and cute.

     Take the selected scrabble tiles you wish to use. I chose Noel. Hot glue each piece onto a side of the cork. Press firmly and allow to dry 3-5 seconds to ensure that is has stuck. insert a tack or metal wire to the top of the cork. Use yarn or ribbon to tie to the top in a circle. Hang on a tree or use for garland decorations!


Another ornament I made ( use felt, newspaper , ribbon or burlap for the back) :



SO easy... glue on scrabble tiles to ribbon, punch a hole at the top and string yarn through to hang. Almost instant ornament!

Happy Crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment